When does “fake it ‘til you make it” go too far?: PL;DR 9/17
We hope your week is going better than Elizabeth Holmes’s! The 37-year-old entrepreneur that famously dropped out of Stanford and founded the health tech failure, Theranos, is on trial for multiple counts of fraud and wire fraud.
Her story is an interesting one in the context of Silicon Valley, where the “fake it ‘til you make it” mindset is not only common but encouraged. In the push for developing new, cutting edge technologies, when does fake it ‘til you make it go too far? This week, we’re digging into some of the biggest entrepreneurial success stories and unfortunate failures.
The PL;DR is brought to you in partnership with xAmplify.
Partner Marketing Amplified – 3-5x Partner Revenue in Less Time – Learn more.
Blood in the Water
The health tech industry is big, big money. Explore some of the biggest health tech startup failures in recent history.
404 Error: Startup Not Found
Discover some of the failed tech startups that just couldn’t quite become mainstream.
From Dropping Out of College to Guaping Out
Who says you need a degree to be successful? Check out these self-made entrepreneurs who dropped out of college before making it big.
Tacos as a Service (TaaS) Might be the Next Big Thing in Subscriptions
Will Taco Bell be the next big thing in subscriptions? Explore the fast food chain’s leap into the as-a-service industry.
Round Out the Year in a New Role!
Land a new role in time for the end of the year. Explore the open jobs shared in our community this week:
- Notarize – Director, Strategic Partnerships, Alliances & Technology Partners (Remote)
- Movable Ink – Head of Commercial Partnerships (NYC)
- Yoco – Head of Product Partnerships (Remote)
- Upsolver – Senior Manager, Cloud Alliances (Remote)
- Vena Solutions – Senior Partner Enablement Manager (Toronto)
- Rockerbox – Director of Partnerships (Remote)
- Demandbase – Senior Director of Technology Partnerships (United States)
- Bombora – Senior Product Marketing Manager, Partners and Integrations (Remote)
- Shopify – Merchant Success Team Lead (Remote, Americas – West)
- Remote – Senior Partnerships Manager, Integrations (Remote)
- Alpaca – Partnerships Manager (Toronto, Remote)
- Talon.One – Partnerships Manager (US, Remote)
- AllCoud – Partner Engagement Coordinator (US, Remote)
Other news we’re watching
- The perfect wine cellar is within reach — As it turns out, the ocean meets all the qualifications for a perfect place to age wine. It’s cool, dark, and unlikely to be disturbed.
- Mailchimp transforms into Mailgorilla — Earlier this week, Intuit confirmed it would be acquiring Mailchimp for $12B. This move is part of their goal to disrupt the small business market while being the center of small business growth.
- Canva has an even better week — After raising $200M, the digital design platform is now valued at $40B. That’s a lot of Taco Bell memberships.
Partnership Leaders enables personal and professional development for professionals in partnerships. Learn more about the group and apply to join here.
Not yet subscribed to the PL;DR? Sign-up to get your weekly dose of tech, partnerships, and SaaS news delivered right to your inbox Friday mornings.